Quiet Nmap 7.25BETA1 release

Gordon Fyodor Lyon

Hi folks!  We've quietly updated the Nmap download page with links to a new Nmap 7.25BETA1 release:

This is the first release to include the new Npcap (http://npcap.org) Windows packet capturing library that we've been working on for 3 years!  There are dozens of other enhancements as well.  I'm planning to send full release announcements on Monday, but please do report it on this dev list if you try 7.25BETA1 (especially the Windows builds) and have any problems!

Cheers,
Fyodor

Re: Quiet Nmap 7.25BETA1 release

Vlatko Kosturjak
On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:04:23PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:

> Hi folks!  We've quietly updated the Nmap download page with links to a new
> Nmap 7.25BETA1 release:
>
> https://nmap.org/download.html
>
> This is the first release to include the new Npcap (http://npcap.org)
> Windows packet capturing library that we've been working on for 3 years!
> There are dozens of other enhancements as well.  I'm planning to send full
> release announcements on Monday, but please do report it on this dev list
> if you try 7.25BETA1 (especially the Windows builds) and have any problems!

...and for Android:
https://github.com/kost/nmap-android/releases/tag/v7.25BETA1

No special patching between 7.12 and 7.25BETA1 is needed for Android port.

NetworkMapper users can add /beta to the download/update URL to download this
new version - ie from:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/nmap-dl/nmap-android-ui
change to (append /beta to URL):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/nmap-dl/nmap-android-ui/beta
and then going back to main screen in order to choose Download in menu.

Hope it helps!
--
Vlatko Kosturjak - KoSt

Re: Quiet Nmap 7.25BETA1 release

Jasey DePriest
Hello,

I installed this on a Windows 7 VM and ran a scan through Zenmap against the local /24.

Zenmap was still enumerating TCP ports when it crashed.

Information attached including psinfo of system, nmap command-line, and the text from the error in Event Viewer.

I normally runs scans from the command-line and I am going to try this scan from the command-line to see if it works as it should.

Thanks!
Jasey DePriest

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Fyodor <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi folks!  We've quietly updated the Nmap download page with links to a new Nmap 7.25BETA1 release:

This is the first release to include the new Npcap (http://npcap.org) Windows packet capturing library that we've been working on for 3 years!  There are dozens of other enhancements as well.  I'm planning to send full release announcements on Monday, but please do report it on this dev list if you try 7.25BETA1 (especially the Windows builds) and have any problems!

Cheers,
Fyodor

nmap-error.txt (2K) Download Attachment

RE: Quiet Nmap 7.25BETA1 release

Rob Nicholls-3
It looks okay so far on the Windows x64 side of things. Nmap and Npcap appear to work fine on Windows 8.1, Windows 2012 R2 and Windows 10 Pro. I also have it working on an old Windows 8.0 VM, although I did initially get the warning “dnet: Failed to open device lo0” when scanning 127.0.0.1 on a Windows 8.0 VM (running under Hyper-V) before I rebooted and reinstalled Nmap/Npcap, but now it’s fine (it is worth noting that Windows 8.0 hasn’t been supported by Microsoft in several months). If I find time I’ll try it on an old Server 2008 host (which should work the same as Vista) and build a few x86 VMs for further testing.

Is there a way to tell which nsock engine is in use during a scan, now that Windows apparently supports poll and select? I’ve gone with whatever is the default on Windows when testing, but I can’t see anything obvious in Nmap’s output even with -d9 when I specify the --nsock-engine as poll or select.

Rob

Re: Quiet Nmap 7.25BETA1 release

Daniel Miller-10
Rob,

Regarding the nsock engine, Nsock doesn't expose a way to check this currently. I don't suppose it would be hard to add, though. A little code in nsock/src/nsock_engines.cc and then add it to nsock.h and output it right under the Timing report in nmap.cc.

Dan

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Rob Nicholls <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Henri Doreau
> Rob,
>
> Regarding the nsock engine, Nsock doesn't expose a way to check this
> currently. I don't suppose it would be hard to add, though. A little code in
> nsock/src/nsock_engines.cc and then add it to nsock.h and output it right
> under the Timing report in nmap.cc.
>
> Dan

Hi,

nsock engines are ordered by efficiency and scalability so as to use
the best one if none was explicitely requested from command line. This
also holds for the nsock_list_engines() function that returns the
names of available engines (see nmap -V). Therefore, the engine used
in a scan is either the first one of this list, or the one specified
via the command line if any.

With high debug modes, you can see function names associated to a
given engine, like "poll_loop" --> poll engine.

Regards

--
Henri